Interview with: Jennifer Kirk of Jennifer Kirk Photography

Wednesday, February 04, 2015


I first met Jenn about 10 years ago through my sister-in-law Lisa and immediately loved her personality and giant smile (she's smiling and laughing all the time by the way). She was just getting into the photography business and travelled with us to Martha's Vineyard to be a guest and to shoot Lisa's wedding. She was so much fun to have around that when it came time to decide a photographer for our wedding we asked her. Here's the kicker... we got married in Italy and she agreed to travel with us! It was amazing having her along for the trip and she did such a fantastic job. She lives in BC now and has taken the west by storm with her business Jennifer Kirk Photography. Read more about this fantastic gal below.



Tell me about Jennifer Kirk. What do you love to do, hate to do, wish you could do?

I love camping, hitting my reset button beside a quiet mountain lake. I love trying new things and new foods. I love fancy dinners. I hate waking up to an alarm. I wish mortgages didn’t exist so I could spend more time travelling!


How did you get into the photography business?

I didn’t know I would end up loving weddings so much. I attended a wedding show with a friend who had asked me to shoot her wedding, it would be my first. I met someone who was looking for an assistant, so I did that for a while to gain experience. I shot my first wedding in film on the island of Martha’s Vineyard that summer, which makes this August my tenth anniversary in the wedding industry!




Why did you start your own company?

I strive for a balance in my life – making my own hours has always appealed to me. Being self-employed is more work in a lot of ways, but the cliché is right, do what you love and it doesn’t seem like work. I thrive under pressure and revel in providing my clients with something that will last a lifetime. Working for myself is a natural fit.

What do you think is missing from the photography industry and how do you want to change it?

Tough question! This industry changes every year. I think there are things both missing and in abundance but I try to focus on what I am doing, and on pleasing my hard-earned customers. I don’t want to change anything so long as my business model is producing happy clients!


What types of photos do you love to take?

The kind that show personality, and realness. Somebody once told me “use what is great about you to show others what is great about them” and a few years ago, a groom saw himself in all his bear-hug, teary-eyed glory in my photos and realized what everyone loves about him, that he loves BIG. That moment summed it all up for me.

What are you passionate about outside of photography?

Fitness… if I’m not taking or working on photos I’m probably at the gym. I’m also a certified fitness trainer and I love helping people find their love for health and fitness. It’s something that works nicely with my business and in fact enhances it, I no longer feel like I’ve been hit by a bus after shooting a wedding! It’s just another day, and I’m usually spending some of it at the gym.




Favourite food to eat?

Do I really have to pick just one? I can’t. It’s a toss up between bacon, those little white donuts, crab legs and pasta.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Africa. A safari is definitely on my bucket list, along with a scuba diving experience off Matagascar with the whale sharks.

Thanks so much Jenn! See more of Jenn's work on her website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground