Recipe: slow cooker vegetarian chili with chickpeas and lentils

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Slow cooker vegetarian chili with chickpeas and lentils

Mondays are my veggie box days from MamaEarth Organics which means that before the box comes to the house, I don't have a ton of food in the fridge. I tend to organize my meals around the box, so Mondays are typically make whatever I can find in the house days.

This Monday was no exception. It was damp and a bit chilly so I was craving chili, only I didn't really have any beans in the house and I was lacking a few staple vegetables like carrots. Not to worry, I combed through my freezer and found some chickpeas and frozen corn and went to my pantry for some lentils. A dash of this and a squirt of that and I had super yummy chili! I was a bit worried but it turned out fantastic so I thought I'd share. Feel free to mix it up!

Slow cooker vegetarian chili with chickpeas and lentils

Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili with Chickpeas and Lentils
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Half of a red onion, chopped
1-1.5 cups of canned or cooked chickpeas
1-1.5 cups of dried green lentils (soaked over night)
1 cup of frozen corn
1 cup of celery, diced
1 cup of salsa
1 can of whole or diced tomatoes
1 pepper, diced (yellow, red or orange)
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
A few dashes of liquid smoke
Cooking oil of your liking
Salt and pepper to taste
Slow cooker

Directions
1. Sautee onions and garlic in a tablespoon oil for about 5 minutes, adding 1 teaspoon of chili powder to the pan. Transfer to the slow cooker.

2. Add all the other ingredients to the slow cooker, mix and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

3. Serve with greek yogurt and shredded mozzarella for extra yummyness.

Notes:
  • I used dried lentils and didn't make time to cook them so I soaked them over night and threw them right into the slow cooker. You can obviously use canned if that's what you have.
  • Also as mentioned above, I didn't have any carrots, but if I had had them I would have used them here.
  • I cooked my chili all day and it was a perfect consistency by the time we ate it (about 10 hours). I left it extra long to make sure the lentils were cooked since I didn't precook them.
PS- The chili tastes even better the next day! I even ate a bit for breakfast in a breakfast burrito with eggs.

Happy cozy eating friends!



Other cozy recipes you might like:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground