time to work on that grocery bill y'all

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Now that I'm not going back to work, we're on a quest to save a bit of cash here and there. As I'm sure I've mentioned before, our biggest bill after our mortgage is our grocery bill and I'm determined to get it under control. Mark and I sat down on the weekend to look at our budget and I told him I don't want to spend any more than $200 a week. This still may seem like a lot for some, but our current grocery bill is way more than that I'm telling you! Small steps at a time people!

So, every week I get a veggie box delivered to my house which is about $50, but I wanted to take a trip to the Liberty Village Farmer's Market to see what I could get for the $20 I had in my wallet. I LOVE farmers' markets, however many of them in the city don't offer organic fruits and veggies. Liberty Village does. In fact, the majority of the vendors on site this past Sunday were offering pesticide-free and organic food. Bliss!

The pic above shows what I got for $20.50: kale, beets, peppers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini. I really wanted some of the fries they were making on site - they were peeling the potatoes right there! - but I didn't have any money left. Oh well.

So the haul I brought home is about the same amount of veggies I get in my box. Mind you, the box also comes with fruit and eggs however I pretty sure I can get those at the store for less than $30!

Here are a few snaps of the market. I'll definitely be making a weekly trip for the rest of the summer.





So tell me: How do you save a buck?

2 comments:

  1. Great pics of your market haul! I LIVE for the farmer's market during fair weather months, and even though it's easy to spend more than what the same stuff might cost in the grocery store, I think it's worth it for the flavour. I also try to shop at roadside farm stands for in season product... always a deal to be had! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in Guelph right? I bet the market is amazing there! My sister in law lives there and it's awesome to see all the stands along the way!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground