the best of youth

Monday, December 03, 2007

when I was young fridays and sometimes saturdays were always movie nights in my house. I would get my pillow from my bed, fill a bowl full of plain rippled potato chips and a class of crackling raspberry gingerale (do they sell this any more?) and plop down on the floor in front of the television for the duration of many a cheesy movie. I loved this part of my childhood. the thing is... I don't really remember too many of the movies we saw because by the time I was done munching and slurping away, I passed out on my pillow until the end of the movie - missing the plot entirely and leaving me to ask many questions at the end.

This movie-watching challenge would not end as an adult. In fact, I manage to passout in the first 1/2 of a movie almost every time. This does not bode well with M - he doesn't like the fact that I fall asleep only to watch the flick alone. Ahhh what can I do - I get comfy.

This weekend however I think I had a break through.

M and I have been renting italian movies through zip.ca to help us with our Italian lessons for the wedding and although the first three movies that we've received haven't been the greatest, the one we started to watch on Friday was amazing. I say started to watch because it's a 6-hr movie. Yes 6-hrs. We weren't even going to watch it because it was so long but we only received the first disc which was only 3-hrs so we thought we'd start watching it and if we didn't like it we'd turn it off. Man was it great... so far. It's called The Best of Youth or La Meglio Gioventù and it's a story about 2 brothers over 3 decades of their lives and the various obstacles they encounter. One brother volunteers at a psychiatric hospital and meets a girl named Georgia. He doesn't like the way she's being treated so he takes her from the hospital and, with his brother, travels to her home town to bring her back to her family. The trip changes the lives of both brothers and the movie takes you through their chosen paths. The scenery is great and the music is fun and I can't wait to watch the second half. Three hours definitely flew by and I know that if we had the second dvd we'd have watched it.

SO all that to say that I stayed awake for the WHOLE 3 hrs! I think the trick is that I didn't have a pillow or a blanket and I was reading the sub-titles the whole time.



so enough of that.

Ok so I decided that I really need to get sewing if I want to make most of my gifts this year. I managed to finish one gift. Ta-da!





It matches the napkins I made awhile back. It's basically a place mat but I only made one so it'll be more of a table mat/runner type thing. I really like the way it turned out even if it was a pain the butt to make.

I also took a stab at making some stockings. I tried a new stitch on my machine and put the stars on the front.



and I have to mention my little sheep! I got them in a little antique/gift type store just south of Sutton, ON. So cute!

Ok have fun out there! I'm off to play soccer or should I say "gioco il calcio" for fifth place... last place... update: we lost! oh well - there's always next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground